California’s protection & advocacy system

For legal assistance call 800-776-5746. For all other purposes call 916-504-5800 in Northern CA

or 213-213-8000 in Southern CA. TTY 800-719-5798.

Client Assistance Program - CAP

Disability Rights California’s Client Assistance Program (CAP) helps people resolve their issues with the Department of Rehabilitation and other Rehabilitation Act funded programs.

image of workers speaking, one in a wheelchair
Disability Rights California provides services under the Client Assistance Program (CAP), serving as a vital link between the California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) and the disability community. CAP provides advocacy to persons with disabilities who are seeking or receiving vocational rehabilitation (VR) services from DOR, as well as individuals who are receiving services from independent living centers or other Rehabilitation Act funded programs. CAP advocates are independent advocates for clients and client applicants of DOR and other Rehabilitation Act funded programs.

CAP was established to improve communication and help resolve issues between clients and vocational rehabilitation/DOR staff and other Rehabilitation Act funded program staff. CAP also helps clients understand the rehabilitation process and the benefits available under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. CAP’s role is to provide information about benefits available under the Rehabilitation Act and to assist clients with understanding their rights and responsibilities in relation to receipt of these benefits. Additionally, CAP’s role is to ensure that clients’ rights are protected under the Rehabilitation Act.

The CAP Brochure provides information about the Client Assistance Program and contact information to the CAP project. Consumers can reach their CAP advocate by calling DRC’s statewide toll-free number at 1-800-776-5746 or TTY 1-800-719-5798.

If a consumer encounters a problem with DOR or other Rehabilitation Act funded program staff, he or she is encouraged to try to resolve the problem first with his or her counselor and/or the supervisor. A consumer can obtain assistance from CAP at any point from the time he or she applies for services to after receipt of services.



Grievance Forms

If a consumer ever has concerns regarding services from DRC’s Client Assistance Program (CAP), they may file a grievance.

Important Links/Resources/Documents for DOR clients: